Sunday, September 4, 2011

Coconut Milk-based Cookie/Tapioca Cookies (aka Kuih Bangkit)


I had a packet of Tapioca Starch sitting in the kitchen's cabinent for a few months, I bought this starch as a substitute for corn starch then for my sweet and sour pork when Ican't locate corn starch in that grocery store and was lazy to go to other groceries stores to get that. My sweet and sour pork did not worked well with tapioca starch, eversince that I did not used that starch at all. Do not want that tapioca starch to go to waste, I was thinking of using it to bake cookies. Kuih Bangkit is the only cookies that I knew that was baked with that. It has been my favourite Chinese New Year's cookies. Kuih Bangkit is a traditional Nyonya Chinese New Year cookies, which made mainly from tapioca flour, eggs and coconut milk. This cookie is crunchy and hard on the outside but melts in your mouth. I love the aromatic flavor of coconut as the cookies melt inside your mouth. It is heaven! Every Chinese New Year, I will buy Kuih Bangkit local bakeries in Singapore. Kuih Bangkit is easily available during Chinese New Year period. During that period, rest days were spent doing Chinese New Year's essentials which leaves me with absolutely no time for baking. Now with so much time on hand, I decided to bake it using that tapioca starch I have on hand, however the recipe called for Tapioca FLOUR what I have was Tapioca STARCH I was not sure if they were the same. I did a search on the internet, they are actually the SAME. My 1st attempt, I adapted the recipe from here. The cookies turned out to be too salty, I reviewed the recipe once again- 1 Teaspoon of Salt was way too much. I also had a hard time trying to get my egg yolks and sugar, beat till thick and pale. I gave up and added coconut milk to the mixture instead. 1st attempt was kind of a failure.

Today, I decided to attempt again..I read a few blogs on this cookie and I made some modification with recipe here and there. It was a success today! Yay

 
Ingredients:
320g Tapioca flour +  Some extra for standby (to flour the surface) and kneading purposes
5 pieces Pandan leaves (Screw pine leaves), wash and dry it with paper towel 
1 Egg yolk
130g Caster Sugar
200ml Coconut milk
1 Tablespoon of Butter, melted
A pinch of salt
 1. Fry the flour with the Pandan leaves (save aside 1 pandan leave for the coconut milk later) till light, about 15-20mins. Sieve and remove pandan leaves and cool it before use. It is the best to fry the flour the day before.

 
2. Warm up the coconut milk with 1 pandan leave then add in the sugar and salt. Stir till the sugar melted. Leave it to cool. Add in the egg yolk and butter. Mix well.
3. Preheat the oven at 160 degree C.
4. Pour coconut mixture into tapioca flour and mix into a pliable (soft and flexible) dough. Add the coconut milk mixture slowly and NOT all at one go. Dough should not be too wet or too dry.
Note: If dough is too soft, add in additional flour and if dough is too dry, add in some coconut milk.

5.Take out some dough (Put the rest of the dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth as it dries up easily), roll out the dough with a  thickness of about 5mm on a floured area. Cut with a cookie cutter.

6. Arranged them on a lined trays, you may place them closely as they do not expand much.

7.Bake for 15-20min till cooked (it depends on the thickness of your cookies), these cookies should be whitish in colour with slight brown and not golden brown. 
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...